THE DIG TREE HISTORICAL RESERVE

THIS IS THE SITE OF THE BURKE AND WILLS EXPEDITION DEPOT
CAMP 65 FROM WHICH BURKE, WILLS, KING AND GRAY JOURNEYED TO
THE GULF OF CARPENTARIA IN 1861. THE DEPOT PARTY REMAINED AT
THIS CAMP FOR 17 WEEKS AND RETURNED TO THE DARLING RIVER
AFTER BURYING SUPPLIES NEAR THE ‘DIG’ TREE. BURKE, WILLS AND
KING RETURNED TO THE DEPOT DURING THE EVENING OF THE DAY
THAT THE DEPOT PARTY DEPARTED.

BURKE AND WILLS BOTH PERISHED SOME WEEKS LATER NEAR
INNAMINCKA

THE THREE BLAZES ON THE ‘DIG’ TREE WERE:
B LXV: (on trunk, creek side)
DIG 3FT NW (on trunk, land side)
DEC 6 60 – APR 21 61: (on limb, upstream)

THERE REMAINS SOME UNCERTAINTY ABOUT THE ‘DIG’ INSCRIPTION.
THE DEPOT PARTY AND KING RECALLED THE DISTANCE AS 3 FT WHILE
THE EARLY SETTLERS RECORD IT AS 40 FT.

THE FACE OF BURKE ON THE OTHER TREE WAS CARVED BY JOHN DICK IN 1898.

THE CAIRN WAS ERECTED IN 1937 BY THE CONRICK FAMILY, THE
FIRST SETTLERS OF THIS AREA.